Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Dream House::1095 Mountain Ridge Lane

The first time I consciously noticed this home was two and a half years ago. I was on my way to a wedding at the end of Little Rock Drive. Little Rock meanders along the ridge of the Edgemont Hills and the wedding was on the crest of a hill. Across a ravine is the perpendicular bench. It was close to sunset and the light was that late summer glow without the haze. I gasped when I saw this house gleaming in the sun.


You can't really tell from this picture, but the house cantilevers out on several different levels and angles back along the façade. Although this house doesn't meld into its site like other mid-century homes, I love the sheer ostentation of it. It's meant to be a show piece home. The Overtons used to own it, and then Marie Osmond. So if this house doesn't get you into Provo Society, nothing will.

Now that you've noticed the back of the house, the one that faces West for the incredible lake and valley views, isn't the front entrance totally understated? I love that it's at the end of the lane. That the house looks like a rambler instead of a mansion. The façade echoes the rear elevations, angling over and over, with a window at each end. It's truly a unique home that despite its size, I want, want, want.

No comments: