Sunday, March 19, 2006

MCM::My Dream House

It looks like we might be getting our own part of the MCM dream. We’ve put an offer in on this house. Isn’t it gorgeous? The architect that built it for his family is now selling it after 45 years. The thought and design of the place are just breathtaking. I used to drive by the house and think, “Why isn’t that house for sale?” One day I drove by and it was for sale. I went to tour the house and fell in love. As the real estate agent led me into the place she said, “Now, this place has a lot of potential, you could change a lot.” I nearly cried, “I wouldn’t change a thing!” It is perfectly preserved Mid-Century Modern.

I hadn’t thought I would get a MCM house at this time in my life—let alone one designed and built by an architect for his family. Those of you who are MCM enthusiasts know that the holy grail of house design is an architect-built home. I'm pinching myself (then again, the thought of that mortgage payment is giving me heartburn.)

There are so many little details that bespeak the modern nature of the home. The home has two furnaces, one for living areas, one for sleeping. The architect planned the situation of the house on the land to passively gather the winter sun to heat the house, yet it's shielded from the summer sun. Once again, the public front of the home has smaller windows while the rear of the home is practically all windows. The eaves are cantilevered, the roofline is stepped to match the lot, and check out the contrast between the local bricks and the blue painted redwood trim.

We offered, they accepted, it’s time to pull the financing together. I’m so nervous! House warming party?



**Sorry to disappoint any newcomers, but we didn't end up getting the house. Every time I look at this post I'm a little sad!

12 comments:

cabesh said...

Congrats! Inside photos, please. And, which neighborhood?

Azúcar said...

I don't have any inside photos yet (it's not quite ours.) The neighborhood is great! In other words, drop me an email because I'm not putting that online.

christopher clark said...

yeah. i want to know where it is as well. Lisa and I want to do a drive by...

Azúcar said...

Late breaking news: We've had to withdraw from the offer. They wanted assurances that we could afford the loan even if we didn't sell the condo, and we can't (because we're not millionaires) so we're back to square one of negotiations.

Keep you all updated.

cabesh said...

Sending rich, condo selling thoughts your way....

Rachel said...

argh. i hate all of the contingencies in offers. that has happened to us at different times. sell, condo, sell. cuz it's a beautiful home!

The Scooter Lounge said...

hope you get it. it looks pretty cool.

:: STEVE :: said...

As a complete stranger, I fully expect to be invited to said housewarming party. Ahem.

Johnson Fambily said...

Why have I never seen this blog before??!!! Love it! I guess I'm an MCM lover in training. I've always loved the aesthetic appeal. But I know NOTHING about it. I'm having fun reading all of your posts. Learning & drooling at the same time! Now I want to go around to all my favorite houses and take pics so I can send them to you and have you explain them for me!!!!

P.S. Instead of a possible Vegas trip I say everyone meets up here: http://www.ballantinesoriginalhotel.com/mid-century-modern.html I might have to crash!!!!

P.P.S. I'm La Yen's sis 'n law-- Slightly stalkish that I found this site, maybe. Random, yes. Hopefully you won't mind!!

Azúcar said...

Welcome! La Yen (not to mention Cachi) and I go back a long way. I don't mind at all. I would love it if you'd send me pictures of houses in your area, I would absolutely post them.

Ryan S. said...

Just wanted to chime in on the blog... My wife and I are huge MCM collectors and just plain fanatics.... we are currently in San Diego but recently bought a MCM inspired home in SLC...

At any rate, it's nice to see a good bunch of folks keeping the ideals alive... Looking forward to communicating with you guys...

Thanks,

Ryan

modmom said...

congratulations,
hope you got it!
let's see pictures