Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas!

I have been terribly remiss and I am apologizing. I thought that for the holiday I'd share my craft project. I looked around the web and in stores trying to find some mid-century Christmas stockings that I didn't hate and I came up empty handed. That was when I had the hare-brained idea to just make some myself. A few trips to the fabric store later for felt and notions, and I was happily crafting away. After I had invested in the felt, etc., I found West Elm featuring some fun stockings--oh well!

The good thing is that I think these cost me less than comparably priced stockings and I've had a lot of fun making them over the past month.

I did take some clues from the brilliant Jonathan Adler and embraced a "Happy Chic" ethos during creation.

The three results. I just loved these birds and so did my son. He kept stealing them to play with until I attached them to the felt. After that, I had to hide the stocking until Christmas Eve.


I got a touch carried away with the hand-sewn sequins and matching metallic thread.

A more masculine look, I was inspired by a stocking I saw at Garnet Hill, but I tried to put a new spin on the design. I changed it from country-based to something a little more modern.


I love the embroidered graphic elements and the beading.

Finally, my favorite stocking of them all (mine.) This one is the most Adler of them all. It's a little much, but I love it.

The starbursts have little pom-poms or beads.

No pinking on this stocking, I think it would have put it way over the top. However, I couldn't resist the silver rick-rack.


Maybe this will give you some inspiration to craft your own MCM objects d'arte. Happy Holidays to one and all!

8 comments:

compulsive writer said...

Those are fabulous! The red one is my favorite. I think I'm going to have to move you from the "best cake-baker in the entire world" pedestal over to the "and she makes find crafts, too" pedestal.

Nice work and a Merry Christmas to you, too!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous Christmas stockings. Reminds me of the great feeling and fun I had making Luckyz over 30 years ago from felt scraps and sequins left over from a Christmas wall hanging kit I had made. I was so impressed with myself.

And you made three. I love them all. And I hope they held a lot of fun in them from Santa yesterday!

compulsive writer said...

p.s. I don't know if I've mentioned this or not, but I think my home might possibly fit into this mid-century modern Utah time-frame. (I think it was built in 1965.) If so, at whatever point we get around to fixing it up I would love some input on how we can update it but be true to its design at the same time. What do you think?

AzĂșcar said...

I would absolutely LOVE to help you. I can do a walk through and point out what was changed, and when, and how you can update but keep the spirit. There are plenty of ways to modernize a house that keeps the design ethos of the period.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! I'm so amazed at your endless talents! I adore the bird stocking. Gorgeous.

Geo said...

Those are delicious! This is one instance where the stockings surely must have outshined their contents—whatever treasures were inside on Christmas morning. I'm sure of it!

Anonymous said...

These are fantastic! I made one stocking a few years ago but the darn thing came apart on Christmas morning and I haven't had the heart to try again. But your starburst stocking has me thinking...

Keselle said...

Here is another great mid mod house -in Portland - I love the way they updated the kitchen with stainless steel appliances...also there is some good info about furniture.
http://hubpages.com/hub/Mid-Century-Modern-Houses