Monday, February 26, 2007

car seat::new idea

What is it with these baby product designers? They think that we've lost our sense of style and taste once we acquire children. I never liked our car seat but it was the best of a particularly bad bunch.


Note the plaid and the gingham trim on the hood. Isn't it awful?

Sadly, I can't throw away items that are serviceable, even if I can't stand the design. I almost did a little jig the day my mother-in-law accidentally put the cover through the washer and dryer, shrinking it and rendering it useless. It stayed ugly.

So when I knew we had a new person on the way I had to get a new cover. I did try to find an approved cover but couldn't locate one. I then priced out custom covers online. *Cough* I'm not about to pay $80 bucks for something I could do myself, I reasoned. So that's what I did.

I found a really great modern patterned fabric in the upholstery section for 50% off.


I picked out two matching fabrics for the seat, the hood, and the trim.

It's a more comfy and a better fabric than my original seat, not to mention a much better design.

I think it turned out pretty well.

19 comments:

Kiki said...

That is very cute. I'm going to need you on my team if/when I have babies because I never think about stuff like this. Yes, car seats are hideous, and I'd never think that I could do more.

tiff-fay-fay said...

I'm totally awed by your amazing skills.

AzĂșcar said...

Kiki--you said WHEN! You included WHEN you have babies in that statement. HA. My evil plan is in place.

metamorphose said...

So true -why do car seats need to be so ugly? We need baby stores here like that London on in "About a Boy." Zebra skin car seats -raarrr.

But hey, when you can make something as cute as this, I think all will be well with the world.

compulsive writer said...

You are freakin' amazing! You are good at everything! I like it, but I'm still not getting knocked up again.

mander said...

Love! When I start having kids, I'm definitely coming to you for patterns and ideas -- the sheer ugliness of most baby products is appalling. Who likes that stuff?

pflower10 said...

Be prepard for a million people asking you where you got that cute cover at!!!!

You've got a great eye for patterns and colors.

Tori :) said...

WAY cute! It was neat meeting you today. :)

Erin said...

That seat cover turned out great! Did you make your own pattern?
I want to make a cover for a toddler car seat but I am not sure I have enough confidence in my sewing skills to make it up as I go.
Please share the details of this project!

Linds said...

Dang! I would surely pay YOU $80 + to make me one of those! That is darling.
~Linds (via cjane)

AzĂșcar said...

I did make my own pattern, but it was a point of no return kind of pattern. I took the original cover and analyzed it. I noticed that it had essentially three pieces: a top half, a bottom section with a third small trim-like piece that wrapped around the bottom of the seat.

Hmm, this would be a rather long and confusing description. I'll post some pictures and directions soon.

undefined said...

If I ever have children, I'll pay you to make one for me...

modmom said...

great job!
i did that too, but not the hood,
that looks tricky.
i did the stroller too.
you're after my heart!

Liam's Mom - Gina said...

That is SO darling! I love how unique it is... you won't run into ANYONE with the same cute carseat! AWESOME!

Jen and Shane said...

wow! this is beautiful. you should be very proud of yourself and start a company. i get little time to be online let alone sew while ainsley is in school as i torture myself with endless involvement. but i love that we are in touch briefly via blogs! xoxo

Kristi said...

That is so cute! You are one talented chick. I could never pull anything like that off. Love it.

jeff with a J said...

This is why you are so awesome.

Cicada said...

How long did it take you? I might just pay you the $80 instead of doing it myself...

Hilary said...

SHUT.
UP.
I have that same carseat. I just dug it out the garage to make sure a creature hadn't made it its home. LOVE the new pattern. You are a genius.
I don't think I have that will though. Even though I'm having a girl and I could go instantly cute on it.